[Hampshire] Partitioning etc. problem was: Re: [Portsmouth L…

Author: Lisi Reisz
To: portsmouth, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Partitioning etc. problem was: Re: [Portsmouth LUG] Does anyone use Fedora?
On Sunday 15 January 2017 17:10:37 Lisi Reisz via Portsmouth wrote:
> Does anyone other than Thomas use Fedora? And is said user going to be at
> the meeting next Saturday?

Further to this. I had received the following request for help:
<quote>
I want to install Linux Fedora 25 on my laptop, but I get stuck at the
partitioning stage
</quote>

We do not have many Fedora users and I was concerned in case no Fedora users
were going to be present, when I know that the requester is elderly and comes
a long way sometimes for our help!!

Simultaneously with sending my posting to the list I sent this to Harry:
<quote>
My immediate reaction is: partition using a partitioner, e.g. GParted
http://gparted.org/
then install in the resulting partitions.
[snip]
I assume that we mean the desktop edition? (of Fedora)

What laptop is it, and what is on it at the moment? Will you be installing on
the whole drive or are you hoping to multi-boot?
</quote>

I got the following reply:
<quote>
I have been using Fedora 20 for a long time, and now it is so out of date that
I need to do a complete re-install to get to Fedora 25 (I have tried
alternative approaches with no success).

In doing so I have made the machine unbootable on its own, but I can get a
live version of Fedora 25 running from a USB stick (the DVD drive is also
u/s -- it destroyed the first disc I used). I had a dual boot with Windows
Vista, just in case, and I would like to preserve that.
[snip]
I believe the installation process is pretty well the same for all main
flavours of Linux until it gets to the point of actually installing the
software on to the hard drive. My question is only about partitioning. I
have looked at how Ubuntu is installed and there seem to be several methods,
but they all go through the partitioning stage, so I am sure this is common
to both Ubuntu and Fedora, and probably all versions of Linux.

My problem is that I don't understand the result of parted run under Live
Fedora 25, nor the information given when I get to allocating partitions
during the installation to hard drive, nor how to relate the two -- it is
that particular area that I would like help with.
</quote>

I am using as my temporary desktop the computer on which I could have run
experiments, or I would partition with GParted, install Fedora 25 and look at
what happened. But then I wouldn't be able to help Harry because I probably
wouldn't be able to see his screen! So - over to you helpful people! I have
a USB DVD drive, which might help with the lack of DVD drive.

Lisi

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???