[Hampshire] HDDs and UUID

Author: Rob Malpass
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] HDDs and UUID
Hi all (sorry for various tests, had forgotten which email account I use to
subscribe to this list)

At present, I have a (3.5" sata) drive connected to my Ubuntu machine via
one of those docking station things - I couldn't be bothered opening up the
case at the time and as it's only a media server, I thought no more about
it.

Now I'm considering buying a 4 bay JBOD enclosure and I'd like to move the
drive into that. At present, the drive is mounted via putting its uuid in
the /etc/fstab. Simple question (which I know I could work out just by
swapping the drive but please humour me): if I swap the drive out of its
caddy and put it into the jbod, will it still be noticed. The question I'm
basically asking is : Is the uuid associated with the drive unit or the
controller in the caddy?

Cheers all - long time no post - very long story I won't bore y'all with.

Rob

---
http://www.avg.com
--