Re: [Hampshire] HDDs and UUID

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Rob Malpass, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] HDDs and UUID
On 16 February 2017 at 12:21, Rob Malpass via Hampshire <
hampshire@???> wrote:
> At present, I have a (3.5” sata) drive connected to my Ubuntu machine via

one of those docking station things – I couldn’t be bothered opening up the
case at the time and as it’s only a media server, I thought no more about
it.

> Now I’m considering buying a 4 bay JBOD enclosure and I’d like to move

the drive into that. At present, the drive is mounted via putting its
uuid in the /etc/fstab. Simple question (which I know I could work out
just by swapping the drive but please humour me): if I swap the drive out
of its caddy and put it into the jbod, will it still be noticed. The
question I’m basically asking is : Is the uuid associated with the drive
unit or the controller in the caddy?

Things to watch out for.
Try to backup things first. <--- Some one told me that once.
The JBOD enclosure might "join" the disks together, so the data on your HD
might get merged with data from a neighbouring disk.
So, my advice would be that, the first time you do mount the disk, mount it
READ ONLY. If it fails to mount or appears corrupted in some way, at least
you have not destroyed it, and can place it back in the old caddy and carry
on.

The UUID refers to the actual physical DISK, and not any wires, or
containers, or port you plug it into.
So, if you move a disk from one machine to another, change ports,
containers, the UUID stays the same.

Kind Regards

James
--