[Hampshire] [OT] Hardware : Old PC, new hardware

Author: Rob Malpass
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] Hardware : Old PC, new hardware
Hi all

I'm thinking of resurrecting an old PC for retro gaming. Before I get
going, need a few questions answered. I have such a machine (P-IV, 512Mb
RAM, decent enough graphics) but it's circa 2004.

1)    I've not powered it on in years, but the CR2032 mobo battery is almost
certainly dead.   Is it a question of just replacing it - or are there
better solutions out there nowadays?

2)    Is it likely to be a standard battery or do they vary by mobo?

3)    I think it has SATA and IDE so I'm going to replace the HDD with an
SSD.   Any issues here?   I've heard some BIOSes complain about the side of
the HDD inside, but if we're talking SSD, then 128Gb will be all I can
afford so even in 2004, 128Gb wasn't too big a BIOS was it?

Any other considerations (VGA to HDMI in DOS mode games)? I think I still
have the Windows XP CD and the license no is still on the box. Might have
some fun activating it!

Cheers

Rob

---