Re: [Hampshire] DAT as a backup medium

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: Rob Malpass via Hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DAT as a backup medium
Hi,
We use DDS 4 DAT at work and it's proven reliable but it's not fast and the tapes are starting to get harder to come by. You will also need cleaning tapes. The drive will tell you when it needs cleaning. Don't use cleaning tapes unnecessarily as they wear the heads out.
We're going to ditch DAT and change over to LTO soon. The tapes are higher capacity but there are cost and size downsides.
For my own stuff, I use USB hard drives. They are cheaper, a lot faster and you don't need any kind of special drive or to go through multiple tapes on a backup. They don't need special interfaces.
Bests,Paul.

------ Original message------From: Rob Malpass via Hampshire Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 16:55To: hampshire@???;Cc: Subject:[Hampshire] DAT as a backup medium
Hi all Is DAT still a viable backup medium if you want USB and to avoid optical disks? I’ve got about 8Tb to backup and for various reasons don’t fancy: LTO, BluRay, Cloud or HDD (i.e. NAS).   I know DAT’s quite old (and I might even be forced to use DAT160 because of cost) but if it’ll do the archiving (write once read seldom) job I have in mind for 8Tb (even if that’s a lot of tapes) I’d be happy. ThanksRob

Please post to: Hampshire@???