Re: [Hampshire] DAT as a backup medium

Author: Gordon Scott
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DAT as a backup medium

YMMV, but I personally have a PC in an another building, running
backupPC and connected by WiFi.
Your own private 'cloud' would also be an option.

I use my garage, but a friendly neighbour who would reciprocate may also
be an option.

I tend to use Unison for cloning from one machine to another.

G.

On 21/04/17 15:55, Rob Malpass via Hampshire wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Is DAT still a viable backup medium if you want USB and to avoid
> optical disks?
>
> I’ve got about 8Tb to backup and for various reasons don’t fancy: LTO,
> BluRay, Cloud or HDD (i.e. NAS). I know DAT’s quite old (and I might
> even be forced to use DAT160 because of cost) but if it’ll do the
> archiving (write once read seldom) job I have in mind for 8Tb (even if
> that’s a lot of tapes) I’d be happy.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rob

Gordon Scott