Re: [Hampshire] DAT as a backup medium

Author: Brad Macpherson
To: Rob Malpass, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DAT as a backup medium

On 22/04/17 12:37, Rob Malpass via Hampshire wrote:
> > I agree with just about everything that’s been said – though prior to

one of the replies I didn’t know what an archive disk was. > >  > > The
problem for me is > > a)    Cost > > b)    Durability > >  > > Agree
that HDD should last for a few years – but we’ve all seen hdds fail.
From what I’ve read, unless you can spread your backups across sites
(which may be an option) but tape seems the most durable solution –
optical disks are nowhere near reliable for data you don’t want to lose.

70s) is still the medium of preference. When someone finally does
crack this (I guess when SSDs do finally take over in terms of capacity
and price) we’ll all look back on HDD as rather primitive. I guess
we’re just in that period of limbo! > > > > Cheers > > Rob >
I dunno, it's pretty amazing thinking about the tolerances involved in
manufacturing such a mass-market electromechanical device. Considering
all that can go wrong in a hard drive, and the way a lot of them are
treated (in laptops especially), how do they last as long as they do?

Cheers

Brad

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???