Re: [Hampshire] DAT as a backup medium

Author: Tim via Hampshire
To: Rob Malpass via Hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DAT as a backup medium
On 22/04/17 12:37, Rob Malpass via Hampshire wrote:

> I agree with just about everything that’s been said – though prior to
> one of the replies I didn’t know what an archive disk was.
>
> The problem for me is
>
> a)Cost
>
> b)Durability
>
> Agree that HDD should last for a few years – but we’ve all seen hdds
> fail. From what I’ve read, unless you can spread your backups across
> sites (which may be an option) but tape seems the most durable
> solution – optical disks are nowhere near reliable for data you don’t
> want to lose.
>
> I find it amazing hdd technology (which we’ve has since the 70s) is
> still the medium of preference. When someone finally does crack this
> (I guess when SSDs do finally take over in terms of capacity and
> price) we’ll all look back on HDD as rather primitive. I guess we’re
> just in that period of limbo!
>
> Cheers
>
> Rob

Then you use multiple disks, dependant on how exact your 8TB is you
could get away with a pair of 8TB disks set up in raid just to mirror
each other. If you have more than 8TB of data you will need 3 disks and
move to raid3. I think you will find that a hard disk is more resilient
than a tape (of any kind), recovery of a file is a lot quicker and in
the event of a fire, there is a good chance that you can still recover
data from a burnt disk which you won't be able to do with a molten lump
of plastic that was once your tape eve if stored is some fireproof cabinets.

Tim

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???