[Hampshire] Raspberry Pi based Air quality monitoring projec…

Author: Roger Munford
To: Hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Raspberry Pi based Air quality monitoring project
I have recently come across a group of postgraduate students at
Southampton University who are developing cheap RP based air quality
monitors with the intention of creating a "citizen science" network
which would provide real time AQ information alongside the very few,
very accurate and very expensive fixed monitors provided by the local
authorities. This sort of thing is going on in other cities round the
world. I got interested because I was involved in a project about 25
years ago to do the same thing but even then cheap was several thousands
of pounds.

They are hoping to encourage people to buy kits and depending on their
level of competence, put it together and start contributing to the
network which will also be showing shipping and traffic movements.
Anybody who can contribute software or hardware electrical and
mechanical expertise is more than welcome. The initial device is
basically a RP with a very low cost particulate monitor but there are
other gas monitors which will be include in the future. If anybody is
interested please let me know.

They have raced ahead developing the monitor but have now reached the
point of early deployment and have come against an unexpected problem.
How to organise themselves. They are about to receive some grant funding
but need some sort of organisation to account for cash flow, insurance
and some expenses so far small but becoming significant. They want to be
non profit making and totally open source as you would expect butt hey
need advice on a structure. Any suggestions?

Yes Lisi I will get them to the Portsmouth Lug for a presentation as
soon as possible .

Thanks

Roger

--