[Hampshire] Ubuntu libncurses5

Author: Peter Alefounder
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Ubuntu libncurses5
I have recently acquired a laptop running Ubuntu.

There is a specific text editor that I would like to have working
on it (I have it on my Debian desktop system). When I try to use
it on the laptop, I get this:

error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open

I have tried installing libncurses5, which is supposed to include
libncurses.so.5, by downloading the package, moving it to
/var/cache/apt/archives/ and then using apt-get install (apt-get
was not able to find it for itself). However, apt-get gave the
message:

libncurses5 is already the newest version

I don't know what else to try. Any ideas on how to solve this,
please?

Peter Alefounder.

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???