Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu libncurses5

Author: Peter Alefounder
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu libncurses5
Chris Liddell said
> I assume it's a closed source editor?

I don't have the source. The editor is an old one called ne,
but not the one easily found by an internet search. It can
be used as a filter and can run scripts. I haven't found
anything else that will do all that, so I still use it.

Anyway, a further internet search revealed that the "cannot
open shared object file" error can arise from a 32 bit program
trying to use a 64 bit library. Investigation revealed that I
had copied an old version of ne to the laptop. The latest
version works as it should, so the problem is solved. My
fault, and thanks to those who offered suggestions.

What isn't clear to me is why a 64 bit system didn't
immediately reject an attempt to run a 32 bit program.

I have a 32 bit Windows version of ne. It will not run on a 64
bit Windows system: one of the reasons that I decided that I
could not manage with a Windows laptop.

Peter Alefounder.

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???