Re: [Hampshire] problem installing silentcast

Author: Daniel Llewellyn
To: Peter Alefounder, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] problem installing silentcast
On 13 July 2017 at 17:51, Peter Alefounder via Hampshire <
hampshire@???> wrote:

> The installation was done by Dell. My web searches have revealed that
> I am not the only one with this problem. It appears that ffmpeg was
> left out of Ubuntu 14.04 for reasons unknown.

​I wasn't aware of it not being available in 14.04.​

> Installing ffmpeg from source won't satisfy apt dependencies,
>
> Whyever not? That appears to be an entirely unreasonable restriction.

​APT cannot know how or where you install something that isn't in a deb
package.

> so you either need to get the universe repo enabled and install
> > ffmpeg through apt
>
> How do I enable the universe repo?

​If ffmpeg isn't in the 14.04 release then enabling the universe repo won't
help

> > or you need to compile silentcast yourself.
>
> I don't think the source code is available, but will investigate.
>
> I obtained a deb file for ffmpeg, moved it to /var/cache/apt/archives/
> and tried to install from there (a procedure that has worked for
> something else), but got this:
>
> pra@pra-Inspiron-15-3552:~/software$ sudo apt-get install ffmpeg
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package ffmpeg is not available, but is referred to by another
> package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source

​The way you install deb packages from file rather than a repository is to
use dpkg directly:

dpkg -i /path/to/downloaded-ffmpeg-debfile.deb​

​However if the package is from a more recent release of Ubuntu then it
will likely depend on package versions that are only in that later release,
so you'll be descending into the dependency hell​ that APT was designed to
prevent.

--
Daniel Llewellyn