[Hampshire] Webcam that works well with Debian Stable

Author: Imran Chaudhry via Hampshire
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: Imran Chaudhry
Subject: [Hampshire] Webcam that works well with Debian Stable
Yo,

I run a home server with Debian Stable (9)

I want to install a webcam to keep an eye on the house/cat while I am away.

I looked at the "motion" project which turns a webcam into a motion
detector, this sounds ideal.

I had an old Creative Webcam (Creative Live! Cam Video IM Pro) in the
garage which I plugged in but sadly that did not seem to get a kernel
driver loaded automagically.

From some research, it seems that older webcams (mine is from circa
2005) had proprietary drivers that do not work well with modern webcam
driver like uvcvideo.

I think I just need to get a modern USB webcam but does anyone have
any recommendations?

My requirements are:
* works well on Linux with uvcvideo and V4L2 support
* autofocus would be good
* at least 720p good
* I'm a total n00b to webcams so what other features I need I dunno
(low-light support?)

Thanks!

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???