[Hampshire] [Golden Oldies] Solaris Boot Order

Author: Rob Malpass via Hampshire
To: 'Hampshire LUG Discussion List'
CC: Rob Malpass
Subject: [Hampshire] [Golden Oldies] Solaris Boot Order
Hi all

Does anyone know how (without a serial link or proper Sun keyboard) to
interrupt the boot process on a Sun Blade 150 (openboot)?

My machine (bought for pure nostalgia) is either looking for a network boot
(if I disconnect my only IDE HDD) or boots from said IDE HDD only to
infinitely loop. This is because I got so far installing Solaris from CD
before it would go no further without a network. This was an NVRAM issue
which I’ve now fixed.

Clearly I either need:

a)    A Sun Keyboard with a Stop key – these are going for £40+ - too much
for a keyboard when (for all other intents and purposes) a standard USB
keyboard would work.

b)    A usb – 9 pin serial cable

c)     To wipe the IDE HDD outside the Sun Blade.   Trouble is (sod’s law)
my only IDE HDD caddy has given up and won’t power the drive despite it
working find on SATAs.   Again – why throw good money after bad by buying an
IDE HDD caddy (£20ish from China is cheapest I can see).

Bluntly – if anyone has

a)    A sun keyboard or

b)    A usb to 9 pin cable or

c)     A ide hdd caddy

… that they no longer want – please contact me off list and I’ll pay
shipping.

Other than that - any ideas anyone? All in all, I’m thinking of putting
the machine back on ebay which would be a shame for what could be one key
stroke.

Cheers

Rob

--