Re: [Hampshire] Document Management Systems

Author: James Courtier-Dutton via Hampshire
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: James Courtier-Dutton
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Document Management Systems
On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 at 11:27, Roger Munford via Hampshire <
hampshire@???> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am on the local residents association committee which generates a
> quite a bit of documentation through its various activities and there is
> a paper archive stretching back to the 30's.
>
> It has been suggested that we should digitise it. At the same time most
> of the current documentation is held as emails and attachments so I
> thought it would make sense to see if there was a document management
> system which would suit our needs or standards to follow.
>
> I was wondering if anybody had similar experience and had any advice to
> offer.

The trick to any document management system is storing it in such a way
that you can actually find what you want again.
If you can turn the document into text, you can use Elastic search to index
it so that you can search for documents much like google does.

The first step is to digitally scan all the paper with a high quality
scanner.
This then at least protects the paper archive from fire and damage.
Once you have everything digitally you probably also want to tag it as you
go.
For example, if the document is multiple pages, you would want to store
them grouped together, and not individually scanned pages.
So, giving them sensible filenames is normally a good start.
It would be a pain to end up with lots of page 2s, and lots of page1s, but
not actually knowing which went with which.

Then you can decide what to do with them.
Maybe OCR them into text, that can then be indexed in Elastic Search. This
will make finding the documents you need easier.

Kind Regards

James
--
Please post to: Hampshire@???