Re: [Hampshire] Document Management Systems

Author: Samuel Penn via Hampshire
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: Samuel Penn
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Document Management Systems
On Thursday, 15 November 2018 11:26:25 GMT Roger Munford via Hampshire wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am on the local residents association committee which generates a
> quite a bit of documentation through its various activities and there is
> a paper archive stretching back to the 30's.
>
> It has been suggested that we should digitise it. At the same time most
> of the current documentation is held as emails and attachments so I
> thought it would make sense to see if there was a document management
> system which would suit our needs or standards to follow.
>
> I was wondering if anybody had similar experience and had any advice to
> offer.

Ten years ago (that's a scary thought in itself) I used to work as a consultant
for various document management solutions. One of the products we used
was Alfresco, which was pretty decent and also available under the GPL
(though there's also a commercial Enterprise edition).

At the time, it had a feature that allowed you to suck in data from Email.

Whether it's still any good or not, or at all suitable for your needs, I don't
know. It's probably quite a heavy weight and feature rich option. Whatever
you choose, it probably needs to be a solution that's going to last a
reasonably long time.

https://www.alfresco.com/

Sam.

--