Re: [Hampshire] Raspberry PI

Author: Roger Munford via Hampshire
To: Adam John Trickett via Hampshire
CC: Roger Munford
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Raspberry PI
Adam,

I have a friend who has an impressively automated house and you might
want to aim at something a bit more sophisticated.

First of all the user interface. He has an old smartphone with a 3d
printed holder which makes a smart control mounted on the wall. He has a
nice user interface which his wife his pleased with. He also stores his
data so he can see how the system is performing.

You might want to control each individual radiator and zone the house
with an individual temperature sensor and power relay. The bathroom
would be the obvious room to zone.

I also had this fantasy a few years ago and with the help of a lot of
research manged to hack a windows programme that could monitor and
control my Vailliant boiler and wrote a programme for the Raspberry PI.

The idea was to make it smart so that I would record inside and outside
temperatures and over a period of time learn about the heating
charactersitics so I could set the time when I wanted the temperature
and not just switch on the system according to the time. So it would
calculate the time required based on outside temperatures and switch on
accordingly. Also if the sun was up and temperature was rising rapidly
it would switch off prematurely.

Ultimately it would be combined with weather data for maximum efficiency.

The project stalled when I discovered that I and my wife worked at home
and we have the heating on all the time. Am hoping to get back to
finishing it soon before climate change renders the project useless.

Overt the years I have installed cat 5 cabling in the house with a view
to monitoring each room. I have also been collecting the white plastic
containers that dental floss come in to house the temp sensors for
several years.

I hope that the move to France is successful and your heating
requirements are probably reduced.

Best Regards

Roger

--