Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu and i386

Author: Andy Random via Hampshire
To: hampshire
CC: Andy Random
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu and i386

Hi,

On Wed, 19 Jun 2019, James Courtier-Dutton via Hampshire wrote:

> I have heard that Ubuntu is dropping i386.
>
> Does this mean 32bit programs will stop running. A lot of wine games are
> still 32bit so that could be a problem for some.

Yup, no more Ubuntu releases for i386/x86.

The announcement here has a lot of useful information on the impact and
possible work arounds:

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/i386-architecture-will-be-dropped-starting-with-eoan-ubuntu-19-10/11263

but the short answer seems to be 18.04 LTS will be supported for a long
time to come.

Personally I still have several 32 bit machines running Lubuntu (I
actually have half a dozen, but only a couple of them are still being used
regularly) and I'm not sure what I will do when the security updates stop
but I guess I'm hoping I'll have replaced them by then, either that or
I'll have to consider re-installing them with a distro that does still
offer 32 bit support, but they may be few and far between by then.

Andy

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???