[Hampshire] [OT] Windows: Cold boot slow, restarts fast

Author: Rob via Hampshire
To: 'Hampshire LUG Discussion List'
CC: malpass9875
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] Windows: Cold boot slow, restarts fast
Hi all

Forgive me for asking a Windows (10 home) question on this list but I'm at
the end of my tether.

My current machine (a well specced AMD bought Summer 2020) has begun to boot
very slowly (over 2 minutes) in the last month or so. I have a bit of time
at the moment so removed everything I'd added in the last month. Result:
Restarts are blindingly fast but cold boots (first boot of the day in
particular) are 2+ minutes.

To make matters worse, I can't find out which startup service / driver /
program / whatever is causing the delay. There used to be a way to do this
(F8 I seem to recall) but doesn't seem to be there now.

I can find a boot log (ntbtlog.txt) but that doesn't give any times or
success / failures. The only items in my startup need to be there
(software firewall etc.) - I've checked there are no others. Similarly
I've uninstalled anything I don't know about and done a full scan.

Short of a reinstall - which is very fiddly for me as my magnification
software has never played well with my software firewall - is there anything
I can / should do?

Cheers

Rob

Does anyone know whether Windows does anything when it hasn't booted for a
matter of hours that it doesn't do when it's been restarted a minute
earlier? Or does anyone know how to show each boot driver it's loading as
it does so - so I can see which one is causing the delay?

Cheers

Rob

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???