Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Windows: Cold boot slow, restarts fast

Author: Marc Loftus via Hampshire
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: Marc Loftus
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Windows: Cold boot slow, restarts fast
Hi Rob

Not much help but a similar thing happened with my son's PC. I tried
loads of things to try and speed it up; defragging, disabling services,
using an old small (32GB) SSD as a ready boost device, registry clean,
fixing cache size, malwarebyes scan, spybot scan and immunise, but
eventually gave up and installed a larger SSD with a new install and
migrated his account over.

I didnt try a "repair build", which might help.

Marc

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 at 10:47, Rob via Hampshire <
hampshire@???> wrote:

> Hi all
>

> Forgive me for asking a Windows (10 home) question on this list but I’m at
> the end of my tether…
>

> My current machine (a well specced AMD bought Summer 2020) has begun to
> boot very slowly (over 2 minutes) in the last month or so. I have a bit
> of time at the moment so removed everything I’d added in the last month.
> Result: Restarts are blindingly fast but cold boots (first boot of the day
> in particular) are 2+ minutes.
>

> To make matters worse, I can’t find out which startup service / driver /
> program / whatever is causing the delay. There used to be a way to do
> this (F8 I seem to recall) but doesn’t seem to be there now.
>

> I can find a boot log (ntbtlog.txt) but that doesn’t give any times or
> success / failures. The only items in my startup need to be there
> (software firewall etc.) – I’ve checked there are no others. Similarly
> I’ve uninstalled anything I don’t know about and done a full scan.
>

> Short of a reinstall – which is very fiddly for me as my magnification
> software has never played well with my software firewall – is there
> anything I can / should do?
>

> Cheers
>
> Rob
>

> Does anyone know whether Windows does anything when it hasn’t booted for a
> matter of hours that it doesn’t do when it’s been restarted a minute
> earlier? Or does anyone know how to show each boot driver it’s loading as
> it does so – so I can see which one is causing the delay?
>

> Cheers
>
> Rob
> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

Marc Loftus | Director | WebMarcIT Ltd | 3 Annes
Way, Fleet, Hampshire, GU52 6AG | Tel 07917 568 685 | marc@???

www.webmarcit.com
Company Registered Number 08977559 | Registered in England

P Please consider the environment - do you really need to print this email?

This message is intended for the addressee only. It may contain
information of a confidential or legally privileged nature. If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the
message immediately. WebMarcIT Ltd. cannot accept liability for any loss or
damage you may incur as a result of virus infection.
--
Please post to: Hampshire@???