[Hampshire] 8% Packet loss due to ethernet cable

Author: rmluglist2--- via Hampshire
To: 'Hampshire LUG Discussion List'
CC: rmluglist2
Subject: [Hampshire] 8% Packet loss due to ethernet cable
Hi all

I've been experiencing some network issues I've never seen before (in 20
years of (admittedly home LAN) experience). One of my machines was showing
8% packet loss when pinging the same site as another machine on the same hub
at the same time which was reporting 0%. This proves it had to be a local
fault and sure enough - swapping the 8% machine's cable for a new one
resulted in 0% loss.

What I find odd though is why not 0% or 100%? Surely the wires inside the
cable can only break - it wasn't as if the cable was being moved around - it
was stationary. To lose one packet every 12 or so seems very odd for a
cable issue.

As I say, with new cable installed, it's now at 0% packet loss so all is
well that ends well but would the issue have been to do with:

a) the length of the cable or

b) the quality of the cable or

c) both?

Cheers