When: 19:30 - 21:30, Thursday 18th May 2006
Who was there
- Paul Sladen from Ubuntu (and Debian) talked about:
- The Ubuntu project, how it was started and why.
- Why supporting laptops is so hard.
- How Ubuntu fits in with the Debian project.
- Laundry powder and boots.
- The stupid keys put near the cursor keys on laptops.
IanBrazier showed off the animated mouse on the Xubuntu Live CD.
TonyWhitmore got Paul to look at the suspend on his ThinkPad R40 (which worked under Breezy) only to find that the BIOS doesn't report a model number so the feature had been disabled! A small config file edit made it all work again.
- Our mystery visitor was the Society's director, coming to pick up a computer his brother had purchased. Nick did know he was coming, but was so engrossed in the talk he'd forgotten.
- 100% of people who viewed the new, improved warehouse - complete with fork-lift - said "Wow" or equivalent.
- The evening was miraculously free of interruptions by pimps, drug dealers, or future clients.