There are other projects which are related, or in some way similar to, our suggested Media Station project. As suggested, this page is here to provide links to those related projects, and perhaps it should also be used to compare the functionality of these projects with that of the Media Station.
Found on the web at: http://freevo.sourceforge.net/
- Never used it - comments from somebody that has?
Found on the web at: http://www.freevix.org
- This is an entire distribution intended for use with EPIA and EPIA-M boards.
- It is designed to be able to boot from USB stick and also Compact Flash - its root filesystem weighs in at around 30 meg.
- Installation: You have to build it yourself by following the limited but fairly straightforward instructions, and 'dd' it to the disk you want to use
- Comes with Freevo already installed and configured for use, although some customisation of config files by hand is probably necessary for 'advanced use'
- Freevix allows you to mount remote samba or NFS shares where your media may be stored
- Freevix does not provide any other 'network functionality' as far as media playing/recording etc. is concerned, it is merely a base for Freevo and some other apps
Found on the web at: http://www.plutohome.com
A new project, PVR, whole-home music & movie server, DVD recorder/player. They state that they are planning to switch over to MythTV for their DVR functionality.
- Open source, binaries and source code available (GPL), installation CD available for download as an iso, single PC, backend/frontend combo using Debian only at the present (30/11/04).