Re: [Hampshire] Linux laptop

Author: Thomas Kluyver
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux laptop
On Tue, May 2, 2017, at 12:33 PM, Peter Alefounder via Hampshire wrote:
> If I were to get one of these:
>
> https://www.tesco.com/direct/acer-156-es15-intel-celeron-4gb-ram-1tb-hdd-dvdrw-red-laptop/392-0906.prd?skuId=392-0906&pageLevel=sku&sc_cmp=ppc*PX+-+DNF+Electrical*PX+-+Shopping+GSC+-+Argos+-+Technology+-+Electricals*PRODUCT+GROUP392-0906*&gclid=COLH6NjdlNMCFdUV0wodWCkLEA&gclsrc=aw.ds
>
> would any problems be expected with installing Linux on it?

There isn't much detail there on what parts it uses, but the most likely
problems in my experience are:

1. Graphics cards: If you're not interested in gaming, stick to Intel
integrated graphics. Nvidia and AMD cards are more powerful, but the
proprietary drivers introduce extra complications, and the open source
ones may not be as robustly tested. Intel graphics play nicely with
Linux.
2. Wifi - I'm less sure what to look for, but I think Intel chipsets are
a good bet again. Again, the vast majority of chips will work, but some
of them are more hassle than others.

Any new laptop probably has UEFI secure boot - mainstream distros like
Ubuntu/Fedora should be OK with that, but if you want something more
niche, you may need to turn it off in the BIOS.

A search with the model number turned up one issue reported with the
touchpad:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1593943

And a few threads about issues with the E15, but hopefully that's not
the same as ES15.

> I sent an enquiry to Acer, but have no reply.

I wouldn't expect them to offer any useful info. Consumer support will
usually just tell you that Linux is not supported, and possibly warn you
about voiding the warranty.

Thomas

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???