Re: [Hampshire] USB devices power down

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Rob Malpass, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] USB devices power down
On 29 May 2017 14:33, "Rob Malpass via Hampshire" <
hampshire@???> wrote:

Hi all

When “should” a USB device (an Icybox JBOD 4 bay DAS in this case) power
down? Most (ymmv) USB devices (keyboards, mice etc) are powered from the
host if they’re not powered from a powered hub. Last night, in response
to the recent samba vulnerability [1], I patched then powered down my media
server. I left it off overnight as I was too tired to do any sort of
testing.

This morning, it wouldn’t boot to GUI and the logs were telling me it was a
USB device fault. Turns out the Icybox (whose drives are referenced in
the server’s /etc/fstab) was off. Powered the Icybox back up, rebooted
the server and all is well.

However the Icybox has its own power supply. So I’m wondering why (when
it doesn’t have any settings/ drivers – the only controls on the front are
for fans) – does the unit power down? Is there anything I can do about it
– I’ve never been too hot on low level device handling in Linux.

Over the weekend there were some amazing thunderstorms. All the linux boxes
that were not on UPS had powered off. I have them set to not automatically
power on when power is supplied. Maybe the icybox is similar.

I have to press the power button to switch them on after a power cut.

James
--
Please post to: Hampshire@???