Re: [Hampshire] Software RAID1 install problems

Author: James Courtier-Dutton via Hampshire
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: James Courtier-Dutton
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Software RAID1 install problems
On 19 May 2018 at 14:38, Imran Chaudhry via Hampshire
<hampshire@???> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Having a spot of bother with something that should be straightfroward.
>
> I'm setting up RAID1 Linux server install. The hardware is a HP
> Microserver N54L. It has a non-UEFI BIOS.
>
> I want to install a long-term support Linux server-oriented distro. So
> far I've tried both CentOS 7 and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
>
> I want to install the OS on two 4Tb discs as software RAID1 (mdadm)

I normally leave space of about 100MB at the beginning of the disk for
boot stuff (grub/bios boot), and then 1GB for the /boot partition.
I don't know what the minimal you can get away with is, but 1GB from
4TB is minimal in my book.
Then mirror the rest for RAID1.

Kind Regards

James