Re: [Hampshire] VLC on Ubuntu not playing some DVD VRs

Author: James Dutton via Hampshire
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: James Dutton
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] VLC on Ubuntu not playing some DVD VRs
On Mon, 6 Mar 2023 at 08:53, Rob Malpass via Hampshire <
hampshire@???> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> This might sound like an old chestnut but I'm fed up of googling because
> it is qutie "subtle"....
>
> I have some home-recorded DVDs (converted to ISO) which won't play on VLC
> on Ubuntu (Jammy). VLC opens and crashes immediately. The trouble is:
> * The same files play fine on VLC on both Mac and Windows
> * Some other home-made DVD ISOs play fine on Jammy. It may be that I
> recorded the working ones with one DVD recorder and the non-working ones
> with another DVD recorder. Come what may - both Mac and Windows will play
> all of them.
>
> I've run vlc from the command line and I get the error below. It looks
> like it's something to do with a locale. FWIW I've changed the output
> between wayland on gnome and X11 - but neither works. Any ideas anyone?
>
> Cheers
> Rob

Hi,

VLC should work, but if it does not, you could always try "xine" or
"xine-ui".
I wrote a lot of the DVD playing features in xine, so I know it should work
fine.
xine also handles all the DVD menus, if you want the full DVD experience.

Kind Regards

James
--
Please post to: Hampshire@???