[Hampshire] Portsmouth and South East Hants LUG meeting on S…

Author: Lisi Reisz
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Portsmouth and South East Hants LUG meeting on Saturday
Belatedly, here is a call for the next Portsmouth and South East Hampshire
Linux Users Group. This coming Saturday, 20th May 2017 from 13:00 to 18:00+
in the Broad Oaks Social Club, Hilsea.

I haven't managed to get anything specific arranged, but that makes it an
ideal opportunity for an install fest and update session. Anyone who would
like to bring a desktop for attention, be it minor (e.g. security updates
only please. It is running well, and if it ain’t broke I don't want to fix
it) or major (please help me wipe the hard drive and install a new OS). Help
is at hand for carrying things up from the car park. If anyone needs to find
a monitor, mouse and keyboard on arrival, he or she has only to ask.
Problematic laptops welcome too, of course, or even shiny new top-of-the
range laptops, just to show them off. And, it goes without saying, to show
off the capabilities of Open Source. It is a long time since anyone showed
off BSD. Any offers?

I myself have several projects I may bring. More in a separate email.

Sandwiches, tech talk and excellent company guaranteed as usual, of course.

Advance notification for July: Jeffrey Best has kindly offered to talk
on "Database Migration".

A couple of other people have said that they will speak some time, but I have
no details yet. Other offers?

Today (17th) is apparently the 115th anniversary of the discovery of the
Antikythera mechanism.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=what+is+the+Antikythera+mechanism%3F&oi=ddle&ct=115th-anniversary-of-the-antikythera-mechanisms-discovery-6292005859622912-l&hl=en-GB
I feel that we should mark this somehow. There is nothing new under the sun.

Lisi

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???