Re: [Hampshire] How to de-install non-free Radeon drivers wi…

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Imran Chaudhry, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] How to de-install non-free Radeon drivers without uninstalling all of X.org
On 25 July 2017 at 16:03, Imran Chaudhry via Hampshire
<hampshire@???> wrote:

> I then attempted to downgrade to the opensource drivers by
> uninstalling the Xorg packages with "radeon" in their names but this
> wanted to uninstall ALL ox Xorg.
>
> Since the laptop user is non-technical, I did not want to proceed
> further with the fear that they may end up with a broken system.
>
> Can anyone suggest a way to downgrade cleanly? It sounds like I might
> need to install the opensource ATI/Radeon package which might have
> been uninstalled when I installed the nonfree one?

The Linux graphics system is in two parts.
The Linux kernel part, and then the X and OpenGL parts.
You can have all the X and OpenGL drivers you like installed. The one
that wins and gets loaded is the one that matches the Linux Kernel
part.
So, your easiest way to switch between graphics drivers is to
"blacklist" the kernel modules you don't like, leaving the one you
wish to use loading when the Linux kernel starts.
So, I think a quick google for "blacklist" and "ATI Radeon" should
give you what you need.

"lsmod" will tell you which kernel module is currently loaded and
being used, so you can check if the blacklist has worked or not.

Kind Regards

James

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???