[Hampshire] Debian LTS/CentOS desktop support

Author: Gareth Evans
To: hampshire, portsmouth
Subject: [Hampshire] Debian LTS/CentOS desktop support
Does anyone know if Debian LTS includes support for non-Gnome desktops? My particular interest is in Mate.

https://wiki.debian.org/LTS says:

"Debian Long Term Support (LTS) is a project to extend the lifetime of all Debian stable releases to (at least) 5 years [...]"

...but I'm uncertain about exactly what is considered to be a "release" - what seem to me to be "releases" for Debian appear to be "spins" on other Linux flavours.

My thinking is coloured by Ubuntu-Mate's 3-year LTS support in the face of Ubuntu (Unity/Server)'s 5-year LTS support, and I'm not sure how CentOS supports its non-default (ie non-Gnome) desktops.

Would be grateful if anyone could clarify any of the above.

Thanks
Gareth

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???