[Hampshire] Rogue Drive Errors

Author: Rob Malpass
To: 'Hampshire LUG Discussion List'
Subject: [Hampshire] Rogue Drive Errors
Hi all

I can't explain this - perhaps someone else can. I have a 2TB 3.5" ext4
formatted internal drive (bought only in December) which was reporting
errors yesterday. At the time, it was connected via USB Icybox JBOD and
threw out more "short read" errors than I could count. I left it running

e2fsck -y /dev/blablabla

overnight and it was still reporting errors this morning. Getting fed up
(and not wanting to write the unit off), I did

mkfs /dev/blablabla

and when I fired up rsync again - same type of IO errors. At this point I
wrote the drive off and used a spare for my purposes.

Curious to see if I could get any more information from the failing drive, I
then moved it into a USB docking station on a different machine. Running
e2fsck again and I got a clean filesystem (no new formatting or anything).

Worried that this meant the drive was fine and potentially that particular
bay in the (4 bay) Icybox might be the culprit, I moved the rogue drive back
into the JBOD (same bay) and guess what - clean bill of health from e2fsck.

So in short I have the same drive reporting errors, reformatted reporting
errors, physically moved clean, then physically moved back clean. I've
never been too hot on the rather low level way Linux handles disks - but I
do want to know if the effing thing is good to use or not.

Is a clean e2fsck result good enough?   If so, were the hundreds of errors
it was chucking out safely ignorable?    Have I missed anything obvious?

Cheers

Rob

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???