Re: [Hampshire] re new linux

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] re new linux

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018, Keith Edmunds via Hampshire wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 14:39:29 +0100, hampshire@??? said:
>
>> Any news about the licensing?
>
> What news are you expecting? If it's Linux, it needs to be GPL (or as
> appropriate for the various applications).

That's certainly true, but doesn't stop them applying a RedHat like
subscription fee if you want easy updates/security fixes/support.

It looks like it is aimed at small devices/IoT so this is either a play
for market share or they hope to make money out of support fees.

I'm not at all surprised by this though, Microsoft have embraced open
source recently. I went to a Linux event last year where Microsoft had a
stand and did presentations, I gather they now have a whole division
dedicated to open source.

My understanding is this is all due to their desire for Azure to compete
with AWS. Someone important in M$ realised that most of the people who
wanted to run servers in the cloud wanted to run Linux not Windows Server
and if they wanted to compete with Amazon they had to offer decent support
of Linux in Azure.

Andy

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???