Re: [Hampshire] Debian flash drive mount problem

Author: Nick Chalk via Hampshire
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: Nick Chalk
New-Topics: [Hampshire] Debian 10 CUPS - new duplex tumble bug?
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian flash drive mount problem
On Monday, 01 June, 2020, Peter Alefounder wrote
> Thank you Simon! I've been trying to do that,
> but couldn't get the syntax right - man mount
> gave me the impression it was possible, but it
> could do with a few examples. I tried chmod,
> which pretended to do the job (with the -c
> option) but in reality had no effect.

I'm afraid that I can't help with the automounting
problem.

However, to make the interim solution of manual
mounting easier, you may like to add a line to
your /etc/fstab

Something like this will allow ordinary users to
mount the flash drive:

/dev/sdb1 /media/flash auto noauto,user 0 0

That says, in order, to mount /dev/sdb1 on
/media/flash, determining the filesystem
automatically. The two options state that this
drive should not be mounted automatically, but
that users are allowed to mount it. The final two
zeros disable backups and automatic fsck.

You would then be able to use the simpler command
mount /media/flash
as an ordinary user.

The limitation of this approach is that it assumes
the flash drive will always appear as /dev/sdb1.
This will not be the case if you plug in two
drives at once - the second will likely appear as
/dev/sdc1

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???