Re: [Hampshire] Using NFS root with raspberry pi. (Solution)

Author: Tom Gamble via Hampshire
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: Tom Gamble
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Using NFS root with raspberry pi. (Solution)
Hi,

Since the articles I found describing how to get nfsroot working were rather old and I am using Bullseye as the NFS server I wondered if that was the issue. so tried with an server running Centos 6 and bingo it worked no problems.

A quick cat /proc/fs/nfsd/versions
showed that on Centos 6 it supported NFSv2, NFSv3 and NFSv4

$ sudo cat /proc/fs/nfsd/versions
+2 +3 +4

Bullseye on the other hand doesn’t offer NFSv2 by default

$ sudo cat /proc/fs/nfsd/versions
-2 +3 +4 +4.1 +4.2

the solution is

cat /etc/default/nfs-kernel-server
# Number of servers to start up
RPCNFSDCOUNT=8
# enable NFSv2 required for Raspberry Pi that want to use an NFSroot
RPCNFSDCOUNT="8 -V 2"

# Runtime priority of server (see nice(1))
RPCNFSDPRIORITY=0

# Options for rpc.mountd.
# If you have a port-based firewall, you might want to set up
# a fixed port here using the --port option. For more information,
# see rpc.mountd(8) or http://wiki.debian.org/SecuringNFS
# To disable NFSv4 on the server, specify '--no-nfs-version 4' here
RPCMOUNTDOPTS="--manage-gids"

# Do you want to start the svcgssd daemon? It is only required for Kerberos
# exports. Valid alternatives are "yes" and "no"; the default is "no".
NEED_SVCGSSD=""

# Options for rpc.svcgssd.
RPCSVCGSSDOPTS=""

So then