Re: [Hampshire] 8% Packet loss due to ethernet cable

Author: Marc Loftus via Hampshire
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: Marc Loftus
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] 8% Packet loss due to ethernet cable
Hi Rob

Ethernet cables should have a quality rating on them. You may have been
using a Cat 5 cable. Cat 5 have a certain bandwidth and can support 10 or
100 Mbps speed. Older cables may work depending on length and
interference as you have experienced.

Shielding is another concern. If the cable runs near a power cable, some of
the traffic can be interfered with hence the 8% loss.

I try to use Cat6 or Cat6e cables. With cat6E you are also future
proofing a little as well as home routers and network interfaces improve.

Marc

On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 at 12:09, rmluglist2--- via Hampshire <
hampshire@???> wrote:

> Hi all
>

> I’ve been experiencing some network issues I’ve never seen before (in 20
> years of (admittedly home LAN) experience). One of my machines was
> showing 8% packet loss when pinging the same site as another machine on the
> same hub at the same time which was reporting 0%. This proves it had to
> be a local fault and sure enough – swapping the 8% machine’s cable for a
> new one resulted in 0% loss.
>

> What I find odd though is why not 0% or 100%? Surely the wires inside
> the cable can only break – it wasn’t as if the cable was being moved around
> – it was stationary. To lose one packet every 12 or so seems very odd for
> a cable issue.
>

> As I say, with new cable installed, it’s now at 0% packet loss so all is
> well that ends well but would the issue have been to do with:
>
> a) the length of the cable or
>
> b) the quality of the cable or
>
> c) both?
>

> Cheers
>
> Rob
> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

Marc Loftus | Director | WebMarcIT Ltd | 3 Annes
Way, Fleet, Hampshire, GU52 6AG | Tel 07917 568 685 | marc@???

www.webmarcit.com
Company Registered Number 08977559 | Registered in England

P Please consider the environment - do you really need to print this email?

This message is intended for the addressee only. It may contain
information of a confidential or legally privileged nature. If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the
message immediately. WebMarcIT Ltd. cannot accept liability for any loss or
damage you may incur as a result of virus infection.
--
Please post to: Hampshire@???