Re: [Hampshire] 8% Packet loss due to ethernet cable

Author: James Courtier-Dutton via Hampshire
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: James Courtier-Dutton
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] 8% Packet loss due to ethernet cable
On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 at 12:09, rmluglist2--- via Hampshire
<hampshire@???> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I’ve been experiencing some network issues I’ve never seen before (in 20 years of (admittedly home LAN) experience). One of my machines was showing 8% packet loss when pinging the same site as another machine on the same hub at the same time which was reporting 0%. This proves it had to be a local fault and sure enough – swapping the 8% machine’s cable for a new one resulted in 0% loss.
>
> What I find odd though is why not 0% or 100%? Surely the wires inside the cable can only break – it wasn’t as if the cable was being moved around – it was stationary. To lose one packet every 12 or so seems very odd for a cable issue.

This can be any number of things.
I have seen intermittent faults on cables that are not moved around.
Or Link lights saying everything is OK, but no packets passing.
As you say, 8% packet loss seems strange, why no 0% or 100%.
You do not say what spec cable and whether you were expecting
10Mbps/100Mbps or 1000Mbps
1000Mbps cable has 8 wires in it. It uses all 8 wires for 1000.
If one of the wires is broken, it might fall back to 100 or 10Mbps.
If you were sending a lot of data across the link, you might start to
see packet loss due to congestion if you were only getting 100Mbps
when you expected 1000Mbps.

Ethernet cable testers are not expensive. You could find out what was
wrong with the cable if you are interested.

Kind Regards

James

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???