Re: [Hampshire] Debian DVDs

Author: Gareth Evans via Hampshire
To: Peter Alefounder via Hampshire
CC: Gareth Evans
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian DVDs
Hi Peter,

> [...] They can download the required image (I presume from an
> official website) but it does not work - they tell me that the
> installer complains about missing index files.

I would be interested to know how this error was encountered. I've never seen it, and can't find anything of apparent relevance by googling it.

Assuming you mean they have installed Debian but can't seem to install software from the DVD [image]...

The entire set of Debian images no longer seems to be available from debian.org or its mirrors - I can only find dvd-1/bt-1 etc wherever I look.

FWIW, this technique still seems to work (so far) on Debian 11. A mounted local image (or directory containing files) seems a better approach to me than mounting a usb stick each time, if for no other reason than that their reliability varies somewhat - but the instructions could be adapted for that approach if desired.

https://novicenolonger.com/using-a-debian-iso-instead-of-a-cd-rom-in-your-sources-list/

Recent versions of apt require an override to stop apt complaining about an unsigned repository.

I'm not sure if this issue exists with the official version via the download link on debian.org - I used the unofficial/non-free DVD image, which you may know includes some proprietary firmware/drivers:

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/11.1.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-dvd/

If you run into this issue having followed the instructions in the first link above:

Option 1: Create and sign your own repository
(this will require the DVD contents to be copied somewhere writeable)
https://wiki.debian.org/SecureApt#Setting_up_a_secure_apt_repository

Option 2: (easier)
Place "[trusted=yes]" after "deb" in /etc/apt/sources.list - eg:
deb [trusted=yes] file:/path/to/mountpoint bullseye main contrib non-free

See man sources.list for more info on this, about half way down the page.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Gareth