Re: [Hampshire] mounting a logical volume

Author: Dom Rodriguez/shymega via Hampshire
To: hampshire
CC: Dom Rodriguez/shymega
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] mounting a logical volume
Let's be more specific here - LVM is more complex than just a regular partition.

Peter, with regards to VG - it's actually 'Volume Group', just to clarify...

It sounds like it's just the header that needs updating. Personally, I would use `rsync` to backup your data, rather than dd.

This way, you're only backing up what you *use*, rather than what you allocate. It's up to you here, but in terms of target disk space, this might be more of an effective option.

Definitely modify the header on a live CD - I don't know if you can do it on a mounted FS, but my general rule of thumb though my experience is to always do it on a live CD unless you can make the FS go offline... but as you said your SSD is on the VG, yeah, do it on a live CD for sure :-)

Do reply if you need further assistance, I can help :)

On Sat, Feb 19, 2022, at 10:37 AM, Joseph Bennie via Hampshire wrote:
> peter either use dd to block copy your ssd to a new disk or
>
> use gparted on a live rescue disk to do the same.
>
> it will also allow you to move /resize your partitions
>
> once copied you should be safe to make a change to the original.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 18 Feb 2022, at 21:56, Peter Alefounder via Hampshire <hampshire@???> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you Joseph and James.
>>
>> Looks like I did not make things clear. This is not a new disk, it is one
>> that held the system and all my files before the main board on the machine
>> failed and was replaced. The new system and files are on a SSD. However,
>> that is now half full, and I would like to regain access to the original
>> disk.

>> James Dutton said:
>>> LVM has 3 levels.
>>> 1) Physical Volume. the "pv"
>>> 2) Volume Ground. the "vg"
>>> 3) Logical Volume. the "lv"
>>
>> That is useful - I could guess the meaning of PV and LV, but had no
>> idea about VG.
>>
>>> If you have defined some LVM partitions, then the command to use is lvdisplay.
>>> It will list the available LVs.
>>
>> That is the problem. For the disk in question, lvdisplay does not give
>> a LV name, it just says:
>> WARNING: PV /dev/sde5 in VG debian is using an old PV header, modify
>> the VG to update.
>>
>> Your advice gave me sufficient information for a further internet search.
>> It appears I could try vgck. Is it safe to do that on a mounted filesystem?
>> The --updatemetadata option would correct the header. However, the SSD is
>> in the same VG. I do not want to risk damaging the file system there.
>>
>> Peter Alefounder.
>>
>> --
>> Please post to: Hampshire@???

Kind regards,