Re: [Hampshire] mounting a logical volume

Author: Peter Alefounder via Hampshire
To: hampshire
CC: Peter Alefounder
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] mounting a logical volume
Dom Rodriguez/shymega said:
> Definitely modify the header on a live CD - I don't know if you can do it on a
> mounted FS, but my general rule of thumb though my experience is to always do
> it on a live CD unless you can make the FS go offline... but as you said your
> SSD is on the VG, yeah, do it on a live CD for sure :-)

Not an option, as far as I can tell. I have a system disk and I have
managed to get to the point where I could install the system, but I
didn't want to do that! I have not found any way to use it as a live
CD.

James Dutton said:
> But this link gives you the instructions to follow.
> Essentially it sounds like the old disk used an older OS version.
> From looking at the instructions, the "vgck" command is needed.
> https://access.redhat.com/solutions/5906681
>
> Note that the instructions will update the VG to work with a modern OS.
> After doing that vgck, you will probably not be able to place the disk back
> in the old machine and it work, if the old machine is still around.

As far as the disk is concerned, it is in a new machine. It is the original
disk with Debian 7.3. A chip on the motherboard failed: the board, CPU and
power supply have been replaced and a SSD with Debian 11.1.0 added. I
just need to fix the old disk so it will work with the new system. Problem
is doing that without risking any damage to the new system.

I suppose if I get short of space, I could format the old disk. I think
there is just one file it would be useful to retrieve, but I can manage
without it.

Peter Alefounder.

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???