Re: [Hampshire] mounting a logical volume

Author: James Dutton via Hampshire
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: James Dutton, Peter Alefounder
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] mounting a logical volume
On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 at 12:24, Peter Alefounder via Hampshire <
hampshire@???> wrote:

> James Dutton said:
> > But this link gives you the instructions to follow.
> > Essentially it sounds like the old disk used an older OS version.
> > From looking at the instructions, the "vgck" command is needed.
> > https://access.redhat.com/solutions/5906681
> >
> > Note that the instructions will update the VG to work with a modern OS.
> > After doing that vgck, you will probably not be able to place the disk
> back
> > in the old machine and it work, if the old machine is still around.
>
> As far as the disk is concerned, it is in a new machine. It is the original
> disk with Debian 7.3. A chip on the motherboard failed: the board, CPU and
> power supply have been replaced and a SSD with Debian 11.1.0 added. I
> just need to fix the old disk so it will work with the new system. Problem
> is doing that without risking any damage to the new system.
>
> I suppose if I get short of space, I could format the old disk. I think
> there is just one file it would be useful to retrieve, but I can manage
> without it.
>

> The redhat instructions I linked to above seem to imply that it will not

harm anything.
If you are still cautious, you will need an old Debian 7 Live CD. Boot into
Debian 7, and then you will be able to mount this disk.
You can then back it up to some other media. Once that is backed up, you
can then follow the redhat instructions with it loading onto the new system.
The caveat though, is that if the Debian 7 Live CD will not boot in the
newer machine, it won't help.
The options then are a little more limited, but they are:
1) Create a Debian 7 bootable USB flash drive, and then copy a new Linux
kernel onto it, and boot from there. The Linux kernel is backward
compatible so it will work.
2) Create a Debian 7 VM, and passthru the entire disk to the VM, and mount
it there.
In this particular case, I would probably just go with the redhat
instructions, as they are a trustworthy source of information. But I have
listed some other options here, if you wish to be more cautious.

Kind Regards

James

Kind Regards

James