[Hampshire] Portsmouth and South East Hants LUG - May 21st

Author: Paul Tansom via Hampshire
To: Hampshire LUG
CC: Paul Tansom
Subject: [Hampshire] Portsmouth and South East Hants LUG - May 21st

This month's meet will be at Broad Oak, with the usual IRL start of 1pm, and sandwiches will be available (hopefully fresh ones and not the ones they made last weekend thinking it was the third Saturday!). We now have a curtain across the room doorway which helps with noise given the new lack if actual doors.

I'm not sure how well people feel the hybrid meeting is working. I plan to check in and setup the Jitsi room, but am aware it is a bit tricky to join in in person conversations over Jitsi (people break into groups) and muting the IRL room so those on Jitsi can talk to each other tends to separate things further. Feedback most welcome to decide whether to continue this feature.

See you there (virtually or in person) or, well, erm, not I guess - it is purely voluntary, but we still don't bite and we have no plans to.

To join virtually head to:

https://meet.jit.si/plugmeet

I will enable the lobby as well as the password of 'sat22' - a totally random change with no discernable pattern to it! If for some reason the URL above has been grabbed I will update via the list and website (you don't seem to be able to reserve them).

There is also an app that you will be asked to download if you are using Android or Apple (it is also available through F-Droid). Personally I find the best option is the Electron app that can be downloaded from https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet-electron as an AppImage or a Deb package. It is also available from Flathub and the Snap store as third party build, but I don't know how up to date those are.

If anyone wants to join by phone I can email a code when the meeting starts (I don't think it gets created until then with Jitsi), but I have no idea where you stand on call costs. It came up at the IWPCUG / IOWLUG meet and I investigated.

Keep safe.

Thanks,
Paul

--