Re: [Hampshire] [OT] More IT than Linux: Bizarre KVM issue.

Author: Dom Rodriguez/shymega via Hampshire
To: 'Peter Alefounder'
CC: Dom Rodriguez/shymega
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] More IT than Linux: Bizarre KVM issue.
Hi,

I have a cheap DP KVM switch, which is a bit unreliable. I don't have any DVI devices anymore! 😃

I do work on Input Leap, a fork of Barrier KVM switch software (itself a fork of Synergy 1.x), but I've moved my focus to my own hybrid h/w / s/w KVM switch, called Continuity. The only problem so far is that the idea was for video streaming, and for work laptops, it needs a driver. I haven't written the USB or video streaming drivers yet. No experience with Windows or macOS kernels...

Can you link to the 8-port KVM switch? I'm running out of ports on my 4-port KVM switch, and with the work laptop now, I need an extra port!

Onto your issue, the only thing I tend to experience is USB bus malfunctions. Generally, it recovers after I turn off the USB hub and on again after switching...

Thanks.

On Thu, May 5, 2022, at 11:40 AM, rmluglist2--- via Hampshire wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Has anyone had an issue with a KVM where there’s a distinct lag and
> then key repeat problem on some of the boxes and not others?
>
> I have a 4 port (Belkin USB / DVI) KVM switch. Two machines are
> Windows 10 (on which this problem is intermittent) and the other 2
> machines are a Mac and a Linux (Fedora) box. On the non-Windows
> machines, the issue doesn’t exist.
>
> I’ve tried connecting the kbd straight into the windows machines and
> that fixes the problem. Then when I revert to connecting via the kvm,
> the problem is intermittent i.e. happens about 5%-10% of the time. As
> such, while this would point toward a faulty KVM, why is this only
> occurring on Windows machines? I’ve checked Device manager and the
> same device is detected whether via the kvm or directly connected.
>
> As I say, I’m loathe to change the kvm because a) they’re expensive and
> I’d actually have to replace the 4 port with an 8-port which is £180:
> very pricy for me. And b) Linux and Mac have no problems. I could
> replace the 4 port with another 4 port but I have been looking to
> expand connections for ages.
>
> And c) I realise I could drop Windows altogether but one’s provided by
> my employer – so that has to be Windows
>
> Any thoughts anyone?
>
> Cheers
> rob