Re: [Hampshire] Profiles

Top Page
Author: Adam Piggott via Hampshire
To: hampshire
CC: Adam Piggott
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Profiles

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x575c4050.hantslug.org.uk.31089': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Aug 29 17:49:15 2022 BST
gpg: using RSA key 9BA886588E626FF94A2BED3D9179BB322CFE0DEA
On 29/08/2022 16:32, Bruce Hepburn via Hampshire wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just started using Linux mainly for Amateur Radio use.
> I would like to know how do I transfer my Thunderbird and Firefox Profiles from Windows10 to Linux, currently using Manjaro and Ubuntu.

Hi Bruce,

Before you start you ought to configure the Windows' Thunderbird email accounts not to delete mail from the server. This prevents missing email in case you later open Thunderbird on Windows, or if you open Thunderbird on Manjaro but for some reason have to restart the migration.

The following assumes that your profile folders are located in the default locations.

You might want to first move out any existing profiles on the Manjaro computer, as they'll confuse matters. Make sure Firefox and Thunderbird are closed. If the profile folders exist they'll be at ~./mozilla and ~/.thunderbird
Rename or move these out to another location. You can delete them later once you're sure everything's working as expected.

On the Windows computer make sure Firefox and Thunderbird are closed. Dig out their profile folders:
Open File Explorer, click into the top address bar and delete existing text.
Type in: %appdata%
Hit enter. This should jump you to the hidden AppData\Roaming folder.

Firefox's profiles are kept in the "Mozilla\Firefox" folder.
Thunderbird's are in the "Thunderbird" folder.

Take a backup copy of both the Mozilla and Thunderbird folders.

Copy the "Mozilla" folder to the Manjaro at ~/.mozilla (note the case change)
Rename ~/.mozilla/Firefox to ~/.mozilla/firefox (note the case change)

Copy the "Thunderbird" folder to the Manjaro at ~/.thunderbird (note the case change)

Open Firefox and Thunderbird and see how you get on.
--
Adam Piggott, Proprietor, Proactive Services (Computing)
https://www.proactiveservices.co.uk/