[Hampshire] Last reminder: Portsmouth and South East Hampshi…

Author: Lisi Reisz
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Last reminder: Portsmouth and South East Hampshire LUG meeting tomorrow
The next meeting of the Portsmouth and South East Hampshire Linux User Group
will be tomorrow, Saturday 18th February 2017, from 13:00 to 18:00+, at Broad
Oak Sports and Social Club.
http://www.portsmouth.lug.org.uk/venue.html
http://www.broadoaksocialclub.net/where.php

We have a change of speaker. Dr. Jacek Kopecky is unfortunately indisposed.
Dr. Thomas Kluyver has kindly stepped in and will talk about the Southampton
sailing robot project. He warns that this will be a bit repetitive for anyone
who went to the Southampton Python talk a few months ago. But I am sure that
it would be even better the second time.

Paul Tansom, our esteemed List- and Web-master, says: “As somebody who
attended the reference talk in Southampton I can recommend it, and am looking
forward to the PLUG version. I will gladly hear about it again.

“The previous talk covered Raspberry Pi's, Python, ROS (Robotic OS) and the
challenges of working with wind, waves, tides and wireless data gathering and
control."

We shall also have our usual Bring a Box meeting.

Sadly, the Raspberry Pi that was scheduled to be given a new SD card
port/reader last time has hit another hitch. Chris says: “On removing the
outer packaging of the replacement SD-card holder, (inner packaging intact) I
found that the new item was damaged in a similar way to the one it was bought
to replace! [snip]

So far, the supplier has not responded to my communications and I have had
no luck finding an alternative source. I know that stronger, all-metal ones
exist, but I cannot find one....

Consequently, Project PiFix is on hold for the moment...”

Anyone know of a supplier of stronger all-metal ones?

Hopefully other things will be happening, and there will be much Linux/Open
Source/IT chat and information exchange.

If you haven't been before, give us a try. We are a friendly bunch and
welcome new visitors and long-standing attenders alike. Experience not
necessary!

Lisi

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???