Re: [Hampshire] Raspberry Pi based Air quality monitoring pr…

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List, Roger Munford
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Raspberry Pi based Air quality monitoring project
On 9 May 2017 10:20, "Roger Munford via Hampshire" <
hampshire@???> wrote:

I have recently come across a group of postgraduate students at Southampton
University who are developing cheap RP based air quality monitors with the
intention of creating a "citizen science" network which would provide real
time AQ information alongside the very few, very accurate and very
expensive fixed monitors provided by the local authorities. This sort of
thing is going on in other cities round the world. I got interested because
I was involved in a project about 25 years ago to do the same thing but
even then cheap was several thousands of pounds.

They are hoping to encourage people to buy kits and depending on their
level of competence, put it together and start contributing to the network
which will also be showing shipping and traffic movements. Anybody who can
contribute software or hardware electrical and mechanical expertise is more
than welcome. The initial device is basically a RP with a very low cost
particulate monitor but there are other gas monitors which will be include
in the future. If anybody is interested please let me know.

They have raced ahead developing the monitor but have now reached the point
of early deployment and have come against an unexpected problem. How to
organise themselves. They are about to receive some grant funding
but need some sort of organisation to account for cash flow, insurance and
some expenses so far small but becoming significant. They want to be non
profit making and totally open source as you would expect butt hey need
advice on a structure. Any suggestions?

Hi,

I would recommend talking to the job centre. (Where you go to sign on for
the dole).

They have some nice free courses about starting your own business.
They should be able to cover all the questions you have and its free
advice!!!

Kind Regards

James
--