[Hampshire] file transfer, Android to Ubuntu

Author: Peter Alefounder via Hampshire
To: hampshire
CC: Peter Alefounder
Subject: [Hampshire] file transfer, Android to Ubuntu
I have a laptop running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I find that I can transfer
photos from an Android phone connected by a USB cable using the file
browser. They are in

XT1032/DCIM/Camera

However, csv files in

XT1032/Download

are listed but can not be moved. I get an error message:
Error getting file: -6: Not Supported

First question: what can I do about this? I have searched the internet
but the software suggested (android-file-transfer) does not appear to
exist. In any case, why should some files transfer with no problem,
but not others?

Second question: the reason the files are on the phone is that the
website they are from does not work with Chrome on the laptop. Other
web sites are not happy with it either. Is there a better web browser
available for Ubuntu 14? If possible, I would like to prevent
automatic loading of images, and just select which ones to see. My
internet connction is slow (via the phone).

I would be grateful for any advice.

Peter Alefounder.

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???