Re: [Hampshire] file transfer, Android to Ubuntu

Author: James Courtier-Dutton via Hampshire
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: James Courtier-Dutton, Peter Alefounder
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] file transfer, Android to Ubuntu
On Fri, 3 Apr 2020 at 23:35, Peter Alefounder via Hampshire
<hampshire@???> wrote:

> I have a laptop running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I find that I can transfer
> photos from an Android phone connected by a USB cable using the file
> browser. They are in
>
> XT1032/DCIM/Camera
>
> However, csv files in
>
> XT1032/Download
>
> are listed but can not be moved. I get an error message:
> Error getting file: -6: Not Supported

Hi,

Mobile phones are sometimes quite locked down, meaning that while you
can transfer files from one folder, you will not be able to from
another.
If you install android app "sshd droid" on the phone, you can then ssh
to the phone, and see which files are readable and while are not.
If they are readable, then you can also install rsync, and then use
that to copy files to/from the phone.
sshd also works over the USB cable, if you configure your phone for
usb tethering. It then looks like a network interface on the laptop.
Another useful tool is android app "connectbot". This lets you start
a local command line console with the phone.

I use rsync to backup my phone. It can only backup a few of the
folders, but luckily they are the pictures I take, which is all it
need.

Kind Regards

James

--