[Hampshire] web browser recommendation

Author: Peter Alefounder via Hampshire
To: hampshire
CC: Peter Alefounder
Subject: [Hampshire] web browser recommendation
I am trying to get an up to date web browser for a laptop
running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. So far I have tried Opera:
opera-stable_68.0.3618.63_amd64.deb
for which I get the message
Dependency is not satisfiable: libgbm1 (>= 17.1.0~rc2)

and Google Chrome
google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
for which I get the message:

The package is of bad quality
The installation of a package which violates the quality standards isn't allowed.
This could cause serious problems on your computer. Please contact the person
or organisation who provided this package file and include the details beneath.
Lintian check results for [...]google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
no entry control.tar.gz in archive
/bon/tar: Child returned status 1
/bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Any ideas on what else I could try? I am reluctant to update my
existing Chromium and Firefox unless there is some way to keep
the existing versions as well as I know they work, although
facebook tells me they won't be supported for much longer.

Peter Alefounder.

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???