Re: [Hampshire] web browser recommendation

Author: James Courtier-Dutton via Hampshire
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: James Courtier-Dutton, Peter Alefounder
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] web browser recommendation
On Mon, 11 May 2020 at 12:42, Peter Alefounder via Hampshire
<hampshire@???> wrote:

> I am trying to get an up to date web browser for a laptop
> running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. So far I have tried Opera:
> opera-stable_68.0.3618.63_amd64.deb
> for which I get the message
> Dependency is not satisfiable: libgbm1 (>= 17.1.0~rc2)
>
> and Google Chrome
> google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
> for which I get the message:
>
> The package is of bad quality
> The installation of a package which violates the quality standards isn't allowed.
> This could cause serious problems on your computer. Please contact the person
> or organisation who provided this package file and include the details beneath.
> Lintian check results for [...]google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
> no entry control.tar.gz in archive
> /bon/tar: Child returned status 1
> /bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
>
> Any ideas on what else I could try? I am reluctant to update my
> existing Chromium and Firefox unless there is some way to keep
> the existing versions as well as I know they work, although
> facebook tells me they won't be supported for much longer.

Well, you could upgrade 14.04 to a newer version.... ;-)
Alternatives:
1) Use chroot and install the newer OS in chroot.
2) Install newer browser in VM.
3) Install newer browser in Docker. (Docker images work on any Linux
kernel version, so your kernel can be ancient and it will still work)
4) Manually compile/install all the newer libs needed by the latest browsers.
Linux handles versioning of libs well, so you can have two versions of
libgdm1 installed at the same time.

Kind Regards

James

--