Re: [Hampshire] [Surrey] Portsmouth and South East Hants LUG…

Author: Paul Tansom via Hampshire
To: hampshire
CC: Paul Tansom
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Surrey] Portsmouth and South East Hants LUG - virtual meet May 16th
I've not found it any less user friendly than others I've tried - mainly GoTo
Meeting, although I had a Zoom meeting tonight which didn't go according to
plan. Took me a while to work my way around it, then it lost my webcam and
finally it just closed. Thankfully when I restarted it managed to make the rest
of the meeting, although it was prone to freezing the video and the audio broke
up several times. Overall the image and sound quality seemed far worse than
Jisti (9 people on Jitsi and 13 on Zoom).

There is a Jitsi client written for Electron, but it doesn't seem to be
packaged so it is a case of downloading from Github.

Nice to 'see' you on Saturday.

** James Courtier-Dutton via Hampshire <hampshire@???> [2020-05-16 17:49]:
> Hi,
>
> I joined the Jitsu today from a Linux Ubuntu 20.04.
> Using Chrome it cut me off after about 10 seconds, I tried a few times
> without any luck.
> I then tried with Firefox, and it worked fine. That explains the
> connecting/disconnecting that people were curious about.
> It was me trying to get on.
> It is my first time using jitsu. It is interesting that you can get
> voice working, and only later, you give yourself a "nick name" so that
> everyone can tell who you are!
> Its not the most user friendly product, but it is definitely user
> friendly enough so that everyone managed to get connected.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> James
>

> On Sat, 16 May 2020 at 17:10, Tony Wood via Surrey
> <surrey@???> wrote:
> >
> > Nice to see you all this afternoon and thank you all for your help with
> > my strange (intermittent) boot issue.
> >
> > It does seem that none of us had problems with 'jit.si' compatibility
> > with browsers - I used Chromium, others used Firefox and Chrome; all
> > worked happily AFAIK. Jitsi seems more robust than Zoom or Skype and
> > the lack of a time limit is a big plus, I think.
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > Tony Wood
> > (SLUG)
> >
> > On 16/05/2020 16:07, Mike Ray via Surrey wrote:
> > >

> > > I know this is a bit late now because it is approx 4 o'clock on Saturday.
> > >
> > > But with some initial mucking around I found Jitsi to be adequately
> > > accessible on both Chrome and Firefox under Windows 10 using the NVDA
> > > screen reader.
> > >
> > > Like Richard said, Firefox was better this month than last. Mozilla
> > > seem to be on a roll at the moment.

> > --

** end quote [James Courtier-Dutton via Hampshire]

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | https://www.aptanet.com/ | 023 9238 0001